Wednesday, August 21st, 2019
picture
Granite Shoals Fire, Marble Falls Fire, Marble Falls VFD, Marble Falls Area EMS, Granite Shoals Police, Burnet County SO, Granite Shoals Public Works and PEC electric were at the scene of a stru...
Tuesday, February 5th, 2013
picture
Mutual Aid With Marble Falls VFD
Friday, February 3rd, 2012
picture
Granite Shoals Fire Department assisted the Lookout Mountin West Subdivison in a safety stand-by while the proberty managers burned several large piles of Cedar brush. Due to the Large Fire sizes and ...
Tuesday, September 6th, 2011
from : Fox News Austin Texas The fire near Spicewood and along the Pedernales River in West Travis County is still burning. Officials say the fire is 80% contained. In total, 6400 acres of land hav...
Friday, July 10th, 2020
picture
Burn Ban Now in effect in Burnet County. No Outdoor Burning is allowed. All Current Burn Permits have been rescinded. Please be safe.
Thursday, August 25th, 2016
picture
Granite Shoals Fire Department Has Taken delivery of a 2016 Wildfire Squad Ford F550 Response vehicle. This truck is partially paid for by a Grant from the Texas Forest Service. Squad 5252 will be set...
picture
There are numerous low water crossing closed thru out Burnet, Travis and Llano Counties. PLEASE, drive careful, DO NOT attempt to drive over a water covered road or Barricaded Roads.
In Case of Emergency

 

911 - I.C.E

( In Case of Emergency)

MEDICAL EMERGENCY:

Give the 911 Dispatcher as much information as you can ab

out your emergency. Including your location, the condition of the patient (if medical emergency), a brief medical history and anything else that could be pertinent. 911 Dispatchers are trained professionals and will ask you a series of questions to better determine the nature of the call. Please be as descriptive as possible and try to remain calm. They will make sure that the proper help will be dispatched immediately.

Once you have called 911. Turn on as many lights in the house as you can. This will make it easier for the EMS services identify your location. If possible, have someone waiting at the end of your driveway to alert EMS to your location.

The 911 system of establishing road names and house numbers has been a tremendous help to EMS services nationwide, but sometimes the house numbers can be difficult to read or obscured by obstacles. It would be prudent to drive through your neighborhood on a rainy night to see if your house number is clearly visible from the road.

If possible, gather up all the medications that the patient is currently taking and have them ready to take them to the hospital. EMS will request a medication list prior to transporting the patient to the hospital. This information will be vital to hospital staff. Another good idea is to keep a list of your medications and allergies in a pill bottle in your refrigerator. Often EMS personnel will check the refrigerator for such information and it greatly assists us in treating you.

These Kits may be picked up at the Granite Shoals Fire Department free of charge.

If you have a cell phone you can store phone numbers that you would want called in an emergency. List them under the name ICE (In Case of Emergency). This will tell the EMS personnel that these are numbers that should be called for you in case you are transported to the hospital.



FIRES

If there is a fire in your house, LEAVE the house immediately and move a safe distance from the property. It is a great idea to have a meeting place and at least two plans of exit that you and your family should be familiar with. In this case, it may be better to leave the house, and then notify 911 via a cell phone or neighbors phone.

NEVER remain in the house in an effort to save possessions (which can be replaced) or pets. If you awaken to smoke in your house, ROLL of the bed to the floor and CRAWL out of the dwelling, staying below the smoke. It takes very little exposure to the smoke generated by burning household materials and furniture to render someone unconscious. The air closer to the floor is going to be safer and cooler for you to breath.

If you are faced with a situation of being trapped in a room where there is fire between you and your exit. Shut the door to the room and avoid opening the window. Try blocking the space between the door and the floor to prevent smoke from entering. Opening the window with the door open will provide ventilation for the fire and actually draw the fire into the room towards you. Fire requires oxygen to breathe just as we do, opening a window will provide all the oxygen a fire needs to quickly spread. Keep in mind that a fire doubles in size every 30 seconds when given ample amounts of oxygen (air). 


 

Sheltering in Place

Most of us know to go to the basement when there’s a tornado, and to get out quickly in case of fire. But would you know what to do if a dangerous chemical is released or spilled in your neighborhood?

Hazardous chemicals are all around us. They are used in factories and on farms, and are transported on our highways and rail lines. They can be solids, liquids or gases. While some can be seen and smelled, others may be invisible or odor free.

If a hazardous chemical is spilled or released into the air — either accidentally or with criminal intent — you may need to take protective actions until the spill is cleaned up or the gas cloud blows away.

In situations that require sheltering in place, you will be notified by the authorities in your community. You may hear an explosion, see a smoke or vapor cloud, or notice an unusual smell.

Listen to local TV and radio news broadcasts, or your NOAA all-hazards weather radio for instructions. If you are told to shelter in place, take action immediately.

  • Go inside.

  • Close and lock all doors and windows.

  • Shut off any heating or cooling systems and close fireplace dampers.

  • Gather people and pets in your shelter room and seal windows, doors and vents.

 

Facts about Carbon Monoxide

 

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly gas that is difficult to detect because it is odorless and invisible. As a result, it is known as “the silent killer.” According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), this poisonous gas kills nearly 300 people in their homes each year.

 

CO is produced by fuel-burning appliances and equipment in our homes. If you have heating, cooking or power equipment that uses fuels such as oil, natural gas, coal, wood, propane, gasoline, etc., then your home is at risk for potential CO poisoning. Homes with attached garages are also at risk, because vehicles left running in the garage can cause CO to seep into the home.

 

CO poisoning can be prevented by proper care and use of household equipment. CO alarms can provide early detection if CO leaks or accumulation occurs. Both are important for your safety.

  •  

    If you suspect CO poisoning in your home, call the appropriate responding agency, usually your local fire department or 9-1-1.  Keep all emergency response numbers posted by every telephone.

  •  

    CO alarms are different from smoke alarms, and have different functions. CO alarms do not provide early warning of a fire. Smoke alarms do not provide early warning of CO exposure. Your home needs both CO and smoke alarm protection.

 

Symptoms of CO poisoning are similar to symptoms of the flu, and can include headache, dizziness, nausea and shortness of breath. To distinguish between symptoms of flu and CO poisoning - if you feel better after leaving home and then worse again when you return, it may be CO exposure causing the symptoms. If your CO alarm sounds check to see if it is plugged in properly, or if battery-powered, check the battery to be sure the device is operating. If you suspect that CO is leaking in your home, follow these steps:

  •  

    Open windows and doors to ventilate the rooms, or in severe cases of CO exposure, evacuate the home;

  •  

    Seek immediate medical treatment for anyone who has severe symptoms; and

  • Follow the advice of the responding agency before re-entering your home, and quickly obtain repairs as needed.

     


© 2021 Granite Shoals Fire Department